Heywood ref, Surface gap plugs

Edward Hernandez R ehernan3 at ford.com
Mon Apr 15 22:10:12 GMT 1996

"I believe Heywood consults regularly with Ford (so I've heard)"

Yes, he does, about once a quarter. Others have already posted the
correct ISBN(glad to see how popular the book is).

To the guy who described his 2S Mercury spark plugs: Those sound like
what I call surface gap plugs. I'd seen ads for them a long time
ago, and I've heard they may be used in certain NASCAR teams. Mercury
2S motors are pretty high strung things with great specific output,
but before swapping the plugs into a car, think about about the re-
quirements of a boat motor vs a car motor, or rather, what does a plug
have to do in a car that it doesn't have to do in a 2S boat motor?
idle longer, very low throttle settings, more frequent transients...
Maybe these plugs behave "colder" than normal plugs?