FPGA packages

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Fri Apr 19 21:47:49 GMT 1996

Does anyone have any comments on the PLD software packages available from
Cypress or Lattice?  Here's what I've found:

The one from Lattice (ispStart) works with their ISP logic devices, which
only requires a serial cable to program the chips.  The package costs $99,
and it includes MS windows software, a programming cable, and 3 devices
(isp2032, GAL22V10, ispGDS14-7).  The 2023 has 32 macrocells.  the GDS
device is a programmable digital switch matrix that routs signals between 2
banks of I/O pins.  Pro's are that it is a complete package, including a
sample device.  Cons are that it only supports 2 chips (2032 with 32
macrocells, 1016 with 64 macrocells), doesn't appear to have a simulator,
and it doesn't really say what the interface is (text or graphical layout).
 Check out the details at their WWW site, www.latticesemi.com.  Go to the
FTP section, get an account and password, and look at the ispStarter kit
info.  It's an Acrobat file (.pdf)

The one from Cypress (Warp 2, part number CYCY3121) is a VHDL compiler and
supports a broad range of Cypress parts:  GAL type parts, MAX 340 CPLDs,
and Flash370 CPLDs.  32 to 192 macrocells.  This package includes the VHLD
compiler, optimizer/fitter, etc.  It does not include devices or a
programmer.  The documentation specifies a Cypress Impulse3 programmer, or
any qualified third party programmer.  Of course, programmers are expensive
and Cypress doesn't seem to include programming info in their data sheets.

Has anyone ever used either of these two packages?  I'd prefer the Cypress
one if a device programmer can be had at a reasonable price.  I'd prefer to
learn VHDL than whatever Lattice's proprietary language is.  Any comments?
I went ahead and sent this to both the diy-efi list and the efi-332 list,
sorry for the duplicates.

--steve

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...