MAF bypass loop

TAR tratke at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sun Apr 21 02:45:25 GMT 1996

Hello gang!

I was wondering if anyone has seen/tried this type of MAF setup...

-----------------------------------------\
from filter	     || MAF		  ---\
--->	------------------------\	      ---\
--\	\________________________\		  -----------------
   \		bypass line			to engine ------>
    \_______________________________________________________________

(sorry about the poor quality ASCII art, obviously I'm no expert!)

The MAF is represented by the two vertical bars in the top tube.  My
thought is this:  the MAF is usually the most restrictive part of the
induction system, and who says it needs to be the only path to the engine.
I figure if you have a bypass tube sized so most of the flow doesn't see
the MAF at all, you will drastically reduce delta P trough the intake
tract.  However, this is not without problems.  I am not sure of the
Reynold's number range an MAF is designed to operate (anybody?).  In
addition, I could see this type of setup reducing transient response of
the overall system. Whadda ya think? does this have potential?

Getting back to the Reynolds # range;  no doubt an MAF is fairly accurate
within a certain range and under specific conditions, how about below the
lower limit and above the upper limit?  does the sensor response become
non-linear? is there even a response? will the sensor ouput curve flatten
off? What are the conditions an MAF is expected to operate? laminar
smooth, no turbulence? is there any rule of thumb re how far upstream you
must keep a straight shot to the sensor?  Any help you pros could give me
would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks gang.

Todd-

Todd Ratke	e-mail: