MAF bypass loop

MaxBoost at aol.com MaxBoost at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 02:16:24 GMT 1996

>I was wondering if anyone has seen/tried this type of MAF setup...
>

>-----------------------------------------\
>from filter	     || MAF		  ---\
>--->	------------------------\	      ---\
>--\	\________________________\		  -----------------
>   \		bypass line			to engine ------>
>    \_______________________________________________________________
>
>(sorry about the poor quality ASCII art, obviously I'm no expert!)
>
>The MAF is represented by the two vertical bars in the top tube.  My
>thought is this:  the MAF is usually the most restrictive part of the
>induction system, and who says it needs to be the only path to the engine.
>I figure if you have a bypass tube sized so most of the flow doesn't see
>the MAF at all, you will drastically reduce delta P trough the intake
>tract.

Actually Jim Wolf Technology does something similar to this for the
twin-turbo 300ZX.  The stock setup uses one MAF for both banks.  The JWT
setup puts the MAF to the left bank/turbo only.  This cuts down on the
restriction.  Obviously they re-map the eprom accordingly.  Perhaps something
similar could be done for a single inlet system by creating a fixed bypass
and recalibrating around it.  The stock sensor isn't a huge restriction at
low hp levels, but more is always better.:)

Max.