Proper Mixture.

FIScot at aol.com FIScot at aol.com
Thu Aug 1 02:52:35 GMT 1996

>My question is what effect does this have on the PCM and/or the engine?
>For a little instance (unless the poppet valve just doesn't open at all
>because of the air) the engine (at least a cylinder or too) would be
>running very lean -- which over time, can't be good on it .. Also, how
>will the PCM deal with it on the block learn???

I would not worry about what the ECM is doing.....  What about running the
pump dry?
The ECM won't change dramatically in a couple seconds, and if you are on/off
the throttle, probably won't change at all.

I would think that running the pump dry might shorten it's life.  The Mike
Knell book on Chevrolet TPI and TBI Engine Swapping had a neat idea to stop
engine from dying in this situation.  He made a little reservoir box to hold
fuel that fed the high pressure pump.  A low pressure pump fed the box from
the tank.  Requires two fuel pumps, but solves the problem if you can't get a
baffled fuel tank.

Scot Sealander  FIScot at aol.com