Fuel pump sucking air (was: Re: Proper Mixture)

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 1 14:16:53 GMT 1996

> From: FIScot at aol.com
> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:54:33 -0400
> Subject: Re: Proper Mixture.
>
> I would not worry about what the ECM is doing.....  What about running the
> pump dry?
> The ECM won't change dramatically in a couple seconds, and if you are on/off
> the throttle, probably won't change at all.
>
> I would think that running the pump dry might shorten it's life.  The Mike
> Knell book on Chevrolet TPI and TBI Engine Swapping had a neat idea to stop
> engine from dying in this situation.  He made a little reservoir box to hold
> fuel that fed the high pressure pump.  A low pressure pump fed the box from
> the tank.  Requires two fuel pumps, but solves the problem if you can't get a
> baffled fuel tank.
>
> Scot Sealander  FIScot at aol.com

Hmmm ...  Some how I'm afraid the extra pump, its plumbing, and the extra
wiring would end up costing more than getting a baffled tank at a junk
yard ....  Actually, I'm more concerned about a "sudden lean condition" in
the engine than I am about running the pump dry.  The pump (a rotary vain
high pressure/velocity pump) doesn't seem to mind the short quick bursts
of no fuel ...  I wouldn't want to run it long that way, as it would
overheat, but for the short bursts that only occasionally happen I don't
think it is a problem...

Thanks for the suggestion, though, I never thaught about using 2 pumps --
neat idea...

Donald Whisnant
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com