Proper Mixture.

Gary W Harris Gary_W_Harris at ccm.ch.intel.com
Thu Aug 1 15:54:16 GMT 1996

Text item:

The best solution here is to get a complete gas tank assembly from a
later model year vehicle that was OEM equipped with the in-tank pump.
This tank will have the proper baffleing to prevent fuel starvation.
the fuel return on these tanks also routs the fuel back to the baffled
area, which helps maintain a constant fuel supply to the pump.  Mike
Knell's remote tank is a good solution if you can't get a "modern" fuel
tank!  Mike has a web page--http://www.jagsthatrun.com

Regards,

Gary

>My question is what effect does this have on the PCM and/or the engine?
>For a little instance (unless the poppet valve just doesn't open at all
>because of the air) the engine (at least a cylinder or too) would be
>running very lean -- which over time, can't be good on it .. Also, how
>will the PCM deal with it on the block learn???

I would not worry about what the ECM is doing.....  What about running the
pump dry?
The ECM won't change dramatically in a couple seconds, and if you are on/off
the throttle, probably won't change at all.

I would think that running the pump dry might shorten it's life.  The Mike
Knell book on Chevrolet TPI and TBI Engine Swapping had a neat idea to stop
engine from dying in this situation.  He made a little reservoir box to hold
fuel that fed the high pressure pump.  A low pressure pump fed the box from
the tank.  Requires two fuel pumps, but solves the problem if you can't get a
baffled fuel tank.

Scot Sealander  FIScot at aol.com

Text item: External Message Header