DIY_EFI Digest V1 #219

Clinton L. Corbin : Backgrind/Gold : Pager 0544 CCORBIN at INTEL7.intel.com
Sat Aug 3 13:07:31 GMT 1996

>> Donald,
>>  Bosch uses an accumulator to eliminate this very problem, while I don't
>> have may manuals in front of me you should be able to find one out of a
>> rabbit/scirroco or for that matter any VW/Audi product, as well as
>> volvo, MB.... The accumulator acts as a damper and resevior, using a
>> pressurized diapraghm. I would guess you need only find one with the
>> approx. pressure rating you need.
>>
>> erie patsellis

>While I'll go along with the above, one might keep in mind that the
>cars these came off of don't use much fuel and as a result won't
>sized for something that say burns 10 gallons of fuel running the 1/4
>mile. Might consider bigger or more of them if making any real power.

Just what kind of car are we talking about?  If the engine makes 1000hp and
has a BSFC of only 1.00 (real world closer to 0.5), figure the 1/4 mile run
lasts for 5 minutes at full power (a REALLY big car!), it would burn around
10 gallons of fuel in the run.  And most all cars DO NOT make 1000hp, they are
about twice as fuel efficent as this example, and they are at full throttle for
only 30 seconds or so, counting the burn-out.  While I agree with you that you
need to size the accumulator for the application, your example is a bit
extreme.  Unless it is for a top-fuel or top-alchol car, in which case it
just may be a bit understated!

Clint Corbin
ccorbin at intel7.intel.com
ccorbin at rt66.com