DIY_EFI Digest V1 #220

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Sun Aug 4 12:02:46 GMT 1996

> >While I'll go along with the above, one might keep in mind that the
> >cars these came off of don't use much fuel and as a result won't
> >sized for something that say burns 10 gallons of fuel running the 1/4
> >mile. Might consider bigger or more of them if making any real power.
>
> Just what kind of car are we talking about?  If the engine makes 1000hp and
> has a BSFC of only 1.00 (real world closer to 0.5), figure the 1/4 mile run
> lasts for 5 minutes at full power (a REALLY big car!), it would burn around
> 10 gallons of fuel in the run.  And most all cars DO NOT make 1000hp, they are
> about twice as fuel efficent as this example, and they are at full throttle for
> only 30 seconds or so, counting the burn-out.  While I agree with you that you
> need to size the accumulator for the application, your example is a bit
> extreme.  Unless it is for a top-fuel or top-alchol car, in which case it
> just may be a bit understated!
>
> Clint Corbin
> ccorbin at intel7.intel.com
> ccorbin at rt66.com

Isn't one of the things that's supposed to be taught to engineers
is that there are no extreems? It's all a matter of degree.

Well the figures I saw ran 10-12 gals/pass, approx 3500hp, and the pass
takes about 5 seconds. Admittedly I scrimped some on the gallonage
because I was thinking of mine, which I doubt I'll ever get that
well built, but the cost difference between a fuel sys. that delivers
8gals in 5 sec. and one delivers 12 is slight and I don't ever want to
have do it over.(ps. mine weighs 7500)  Further, while we're at it,
has anybody figured the effect of the g's on where the fuel will be
to pick up in the tank under acceleration?(yes, that's the voice of
expierience, I goofed)