more musings on EFI controllers

Tony Bryant bryantt at psc.fp.co.nz
Thu Aug 8 23:35:51 GMT 1996

> >      Sounds good, but I'm still looking for the hole to plug my one		|
> >> must-have item into.  Limp Home Mode.  For my particular application,		|
> >> LHM is crucial to the point that I've been dreaming up digital-over-		|
> >> bob										|
> >yeah, digital is the only way to
> >go_____________________________________________|
> >that is if you know what you are doing.  ANYTHING that can be
> >controlled, can do with digital.  Analog is too touchy and needs TLC,
> >give me digital, on, off and ADC.
> >
> Hi Guys
> Take a lesson from GM. They use a reduntant fuel controller chip which
> takes over when the digital part of the cct. fails.
> This is a LSI analog chip. Calibrations are via resistor packs.

<snip>

IMHO, its not the brains that will fail, its the connections to and
inside the sensors and actuators. A Limp home mode is useful, whereby
the system can get by without any one sensor, e.g revert to an
Alpha-N system if the map sensor fails, or revert to simulatenous
injection if a crank angle sensor fails, or revert to open loop,
etc, etc, etc.

remember >95% of electronics problems are broken or intermittant
connections.

BTW, what are people using for TP Sensors? (US Specific suppliers are
not useful to me, for obvious reasons). How bad is using a good
quality carbon track pot?