Forwarded: Header insulation

Edward C. Hernandez ehernan3 at ford.com
Mon Aug 12 20:07:59 GMT 1996

> I can't imagine you'll get too many mpg's out of this exercise, since
> once the exhaust heat is out of the combustion chamber it can do no
> further useful work, whatever its temperature (unless you have a
> turbocharger).  It's just waste heat from the exhaust port onwards!

Except that in most engine bays, heat from the exhaust will affect inlet
air temperatures. Even if you actually induct air from a cool source,
the tracts through which air travels on the way to the combustion
chamber are heated by ambient underhood air. Reduce underhood air temps
and you will make a difference in performance.

Fuel ecomony should actually suffer, though, since running cooler air
requires a reduced throttle setting to make the same power, increasing
pumping losses.

Ed Hernandez
Ford Motor Company
ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com