Throttle switch

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Tue Aug 13 13:43:34 GMT 1996

<Doug Robson> wrote:

> About your switch,
> 	Most throttle switched are more to tell the computer that you are at
> idle so as you go on the gas its clicks off. On most Road engines the
> accelaration stuff is controlled my Manifold pressure or Airflow meter.

Doug,

thanks for your answer. Exactly the method you describe above made
me wonder if my switch setup was correct (switch opens before the
throttle plate opens). It turns out that this _is_ correct. Yes, the
engine goes open loop as soon as the switch clicks. And a slight rpm
drop is normal. But NOT such a mess my car made. However, the problem
is not completely solved but not so bad as it was. A VW mechanic gave
me the advice to burn the engine free, and I did it. Drove to my hometown
at 23.30pm when the Autobahn is not so full (do not believe what you
hear about the 250km/h rides on German autobahns, that's possible only
at 3am). This helped a lot. So I think there was carbon on the valves
or maybe even in the combustion chamber. My car has a knock sensor, so
maybe there was some light knock, ignition timing was moved towards
TDC and the engine run badly when cold.

Again, thanks for your answer.

Greetings,

Jens ('92 VW Polo-G40)