HEGO

Darrell Norquay dnorquay at awinc.com
Wed Aug 14 04:32:36 GMT 1996

At 05:26 AM 8/13/96 -0700, talltom wrote:

>You have a v-8, with 2 ego's on it, and can read 2 bar graphs in a 2" guage
>while driving? How? I have to have somebody else sitting in the passenger seat
>because when I floor it it's all I can do to keep the thing on the road and
>shift, no time for dash observations.(or guts enough to take eyes off road
>either) And this is in a vw rabbit.(alright, I cheated 125 of those horses
were
>nitrous, but the ego worked to dial in the fuel/air/nitrous mix!:-)

Damn right!  That's why bargraphs are so great, they can be read intuitively
without directly looking at them.  LED's are also easy to see because they
are their own light source, as opposed to LCD's and analog gages which need
an external light source.  I have 10 LED's in each bar, mounted vertically
side by side.  The top 4 (.6V-1.0V) are red, the middle 2 (.4V,.5V) are
amber, and the bottom 4 are green (0V-.3V).  All you have to do is be able
to see it out of the corner of your eye.  Keep it in the amber, and you're
there.  It's also easy to spot any differences between cylinder banks (I
detected a fouled plug this way, one bank was always running richer than the
other...)

Besides, you shouldn't be dinking around somewhere where you have to watch
for traffic anyway  ;]
regards
dn
dnorquay at awinc.com