80552, Air core meter

Warren Crowther warren at advgroup.co.nz
Fri Aug 16 05:17:01 GMT 1996

>Can anyone comment on their experiences with using an 80552 as the basis
>of an ECU? Does anyone know where I can get my hands on an 80552 based SBC,
>preferably with external EPROM and RAM and access to the high speed
>outputs? I checked out HiTech's offering, and Micro Control and
>Diagnostics's page on the Web, and was wondering if there were more.
>I've tried routing my own, and have nearly finished it, but being
>a single sided board, it's an absolute dog's breakfast of jumper wires, and
>I wouldn't trust the end product to get me to the pub, let alone be
>regarded as reliable transport.

yep - i've got one that i did myself that works okay.

It's also got rs232 and rs485 comms, +12v power supply, LCD display, and more.

i've done v1 of the board and it works.  I'm going to make a few changes and
make another one soon.  I can give you a copy of this if you want.

PS let me know if someone gives you a good one - mine works okay, but it
could be a bit tidier!

>In an old Philips 8051 databook I have, it describes a meter movement
>called an air core meter - two coils are fixed at right angles to each
>other, and a permanent magnet moves the needle. To move the needle to a
>desired angle, the coil currents are set so that one coil current is
>proportional to the sine of the required angle, and the other is the
>cosine. The big question is, are there any cars available in Australia (or
>more to the point, in Australian wrecking yards) which use this movement?
>It looks like a fun thing to play with.

huh??!  what's it for???

Warren
Warren Crowther
Software Engineer    			  DDI +649 3610625
warren at advgroup.co.nz        		  Ph  +649 3602834 x5625
Advantage Systems Ltd                     Fax +649 3764210