My DIY EFI

John Dammeyer johnd at islandnet.com
Sat Aug 17 06:46:13 GMT 1996

At 04:20 PM 16/08/1996 -0400, you wrote:
>Todd, you say that Bosch used 8051s or derrivatives.
>
>I would be interested in seeing anything really - coding, schematics, etc.
>Can you point me in the right direction so I can get a peak at these?
>
>The reason that I'm going for an 80c32 is that I've already got a few. I've
>also been looking at the Phillips range and the one's with IIC and CAN BUS
>look interesting. Any thoughts?

Using the 80C592 (with CAN bus controller) has a lot of advantages if you
are putting together an integrated controller for a car.  The ignition/EFI
controller can broadcast RPM along with manifold pressure onto the CAN bus.
With the leftover 10 bit A/D channels you can measure temperatures etc and
also broadcast them.  This makes diagnostics rather easy as there is a one
point connection for all engine inforamtion.

Now if you were also controlling the automatic transmission then you can use
those parameters for shifting etc.  Finally your dash board computer can
display the engine stuff on an electronic instrument panel.  Signal lights
can be turned on/off with CAN bus messages if you use something like a
68HC05X4 as the tail light controller.  This means frame gorund, fused +12
volts and a pair of CAN bus wires to the rear of the car rather than an
entire harness and the connectors that go with it.

Can't see any reason to not use a CAN based engine controller;  I am.

John

Pioneers are the ones, face down in the mud,
with arrows in their backs.
Automation Artisans Inc.      Ph. 604-544-4950
6468 Loganberry Place         Fax 604-544-4954
Victoria BC CANADA V8Z 7E6