Truck parts Dynamometer.

RD Rick rickydik at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 17 13:50:35 GMT 1996

>> Dave asked:
>> >What really is involved in putting together a dynamometer - either
>> chassis or>engine?>> >
>> >Is there a prescribed method as I'd be interested in putting
together>> >somesort of engine dynamometer.

I oversimply replied:
>> If the engine is in a car, all you need is a stopwatch, a tach, a
tape>> recorder, and a hill.

and Dave Zug retorted:
>AND A BUDDY who knows the formula! (and so you can concentrate on
>following the yellow lines)

>call this the anticipated request for the conversion formula and
>procedure, again. (look ma, i contributed!)

Hi Gang:
I'm brand new to the group, in case you hadn't noticed, and probably
jumped into the middle of a thread, sorry.

I didn't quote my reference the first time, because it was in the
upstairs bathroom.  It's there for OJT, On the John Training.

I am reading "The Doctors Guide to Optimizing Your Ignition" by "Dr."
Christopher Jacobs, PhD, EE, of Jacobs Ignitions, product of Jacobs
Electronics, Inc.; Jacobs Technical Publishing, Jacobs, TX.

Actually Jacobs Tech Pub is in Midland.  I am wary of any PhD from USC,
because I know one who is in the chemical industry.  That guy's PhD
from USC is in child psychology, obtained with a $40K donation.
Dr. Jacob's method of explaining inductance is okay, but not like how
it was taught back in the fifties when both he and I were learning
basics.  He also makes assumptions that may be oversimplification,
like 0.1" is the critical size flame for combustion.

All the above notwithstanding, he has a full chapter "Free Dynamometer,
Accurate to 2%."  It would be tough to get 2% accuracy with his method,
but it is easy to automate what he is recommending to get very good
accuracy.  I had already started down a similar road by recording the
tach pulses on my tape deck.

Hope you can find the book.  Mine was a gift, and well worth the price.

RD
    '76 Porsche 914 2.0 stock commuter with excellent Djet EFI
    '73 Porsche 914 2.1 hiperf commuter with same Djet, not so well.
    '81 VW Vangon with 2.0 Ljet EFI, never a problem, except bad fuel
        rusting the FP regulator shut.  This is probable cause of lots
        of car fires in Calif now I suspect.
    '86 Merc Sable, my EFI standard of excellence.