hardened valve seats

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Sun Aug 18 18:19:16 GMT 1996

Hans Hintermaier wrote:

> Hi there, metallurgists and engine-recyclers.
> Does anybody of you know what (generally available) material
> I can use for unleaded-fuel-valve-seats? I am just working on an old
> motorcycle with aluminium head, which needs the valve seats to be
> replaced. Could be X210 Cr Wo 12 the right thing?

Wie gehts, Hans--
Unless you've have a milling machine or the right set of piloted cutters,
it's doubtful you're going to be able to install the seat inserts
yourself.  Visit your local automotive machine shop and tell them what
you'd like to have installed.  Most auto machine shops can get inserts
from their suppliers in almost any size.  As for the composition of an
insert for unleaded use, I'm doubtful the above would be suitable--if the
Wo is meant to be wolfram (tungsten), 12% would make the material far too
brittle, I think.  I would guess that the material is extremely low
sulfur, high chromium, some molybdenum, with a small amount of nickel and
an even smaller amount (0.2-3%) tungsten.  We may have it in what SAE
papers we have at work--given a bit of time, I'll check.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....