Zero Emissions Vehicle (was Electric Veh.)

John Brewer brewer at thaad.tecmas.com
Mon Aug 19 11:50:03 GMT 1996

Let's just cut all the crap about a ZEV.  It is nothing more than
enviro-wacko induced, government mandated, Barbera Streisand.  You get 5
million jokers in the San Fernando Valley hooking their ZEV's up to the
grid everynight to recharge them for their 50 mile commute the next day and
I am fairly certain that the peak hours for electric generation will shift,
not to mention the rates for electric power- especially after they get you
over a barrell.  So the term "Zero Emissions Vehicle" is a LIE.  They ought
to be called "Remote Emissions Vehicles" (REV) since they just shift the
emissions point to another location.  In most cases out in to the country
where the power plants are located.  That's just like city-folk, absolutely
destroy their environment, then dupe everybody into a plan that dumps all
their emissions outside of town!

Even if you get a REV with decent efficiency *after* you get the cells
charged, what can be said about transmission line losses from the power
company to your humble abode?  Are these losses factored in to the
efficiency ratings?  Are we going to use solar power to charge these
babies?  Let's not forget wer're home AT NIGHT!  Maybe we could turn the
flood lights on.  Are we going to charge them with solar power while we're
at work?  What if it decides to rain- are we all going to spend the night
at work?  Or will the power company let us hook up to the grid during their
peak hours on a system that is begin run at the breaking point to keep up
with current demand.

This may seem a flame but dang it- government mandate is the absolute worst
way to do anything.  This whole REV debate is so shot full of holes from
merely a practicle standpoint that the whole thing needs to be scrapped
along with the politicians who backed it.

John Brewer

P.S. I debated as to whether or not to send this so don't think that I'm a
complete reactionary- just a partial reactionary!

"Any man who would trade liberty for security deserves neither." -  Ben
Franklin