Ford EEC-IV help

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 19 19:41:16 GMT 1996

[snip]

  In short, I am interested in manufacturing
>my own "piggyback" chips for Ford EEC-IV and EEC-V processors.  I
>am admittedly a novice when it comes to this process so please
>pardon whatever academic questions I may have.  Anyway,
>here goes:

  =============    ================
Sven ... so am I -- please keep me posted on what you find out,
and I'll do the same for you.
  =============    ================

Now, first, the chips in EEC units are soldered in -- all commercially
available units [try http://www.superchips.com/ ] plug into the
computer between it and the cable.  This means that they are 'simply'
trying to intercept and modify inna's and outta's, which can't be
a very satisfying experience.

>1)  I am interested in corresponding with any of you who have
>experience working with the Ford EEC-IV and V series computers.
>Particularly, those who have successfully extracted and manipulated
>the code from these processors.

  =============    ================
Once again, please keep me posted on what you find out.
  =============    ================

>2)  I had heard rumor that some members of this list have
>constructed real-time data collection devices that monitored every
>sensor in/out signal for a period of time.  If this is true, would
>you be willing to share such technology?

Ditto --

>3)  Is there available any software programs that can successfully
>interpret the Ford Code into something recognizable to the average
>human?

You mean like a dis-assembler?  Yes.

>4)  What programming language should I begin to familiarize myself
>with in order to begin work with the Ford code?  So far, my
>programming experience has revolved around developing Windows
>automotive software in Layout 3.01c and a little Quickbasic.

  =============    ================
tell me what you find out.
  =============    ================

>5)  Having absolutely no experience in manufacturing my own boards,
>etc.  Can any of you recommend a few good references to guide me in
>the process or someone who can perform such work economically when
>presented with a concept?

I have circuit boards made all the time -- who's going to do your layout?
Not an inexpensive proposition (could cost thousands if you don't do it
yourself -- there is a freeware version of PCB-PADS that you could use).
Then, a 'simple', double-sided board will cost about
$50 to $100, plus about the same in set-up.  Quantity pricing can
get the same board down to tens of dollars, and will make the setup
charge essentially disappear.

But, you're talking lots of time and money.

Most typical scenario:  buy an SBC (single-board-computer) development
kit from someone (I lean toward the 68HC11 or similar, though there
are many available) and write code for it on your PC using a cross
assembler or (gad) C.  Let me say here, that it is possible to write the
code in BASIC and compile it -- but the odds of you finding a cross-
compiler for the SBC are slim.  The compiler generate code that is
capable of executing from ROM'ed code and using tables and constants
that are also in ROM and not RAM.

May I also pontificate a little here:  as many previous posts have
stated:  It's not necessary to get real complicated.  A factory
EFI controller is trying to do things you don't necessarily care about.

Seems to me that me and thee want to just modify the code in the
existing unit (and maybe add (or delete) a funtion or two) (note the
correctly 'nested' parenthesis).  Hopefully, all that would be
necessary would be the removal of the PROM and putting in an
EPROM.  This might entail making an adaptor board which would
most likely make the unit too big to go in the enclosure which
would .....