EGO sensors

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 20 13:50:45 GMT 1996

>>with the flat part occuring at stoich with about .45 volts output.  Above
>
>Ah, Tom, the flat part occurs at each end of the curve.  The central portion
>around .4-.5V is almost vertical.

 ** depends on which way you turn the graph !!

>I've been wondering lately how much sweat it would be to apply some
>linearization to the curve, in order to get a more useful output.  The curve
>is essentially a stretched "S" shape, the math for this should be a piece of
>cake (for someone so inclined).  OK, so you may not get a perfectly linear
>curve, but you should be able to get something resembling a straight line
>with way wider a/f range than it now has.  Any comments?
>

>regards
>dn
>dnorquay at awinc.com

What I said was that, off stoich, the output was (as I read the SAE
papers) seriously affected by temperature, and that, without knowing
the temp, one could not really get an accurate A/F reading.  Also,
EPA seems to think that the EGO does not even read oxy until temps
in excess of 800 degrees are reached.

But, you are asking what I've been trying to find out for quite some
time: specifically, how useful, practically, is the EGO for rich/lean
settings (and this would necessitate 'straightening' the curve).

Tom Cloud