1986 Honda Prelude fuel injection proble

Woodd, Michael wooddm at akcity.govt.nz
Tue Aug 20 22:03:09 GMT 1996

Hi all,

I have the above car (for those who care, the model preceeding the 4 wheel
steerer),
with the 2.0 twin cam injected engine, automatic tranny (boo hoo), catalytic
convertor,
but pretty amazing handling if you dare.  It was a Japanese import, got it
cheap.

I am wanting to find out if anyone has any first hand experience tuning one
of these.  Any
information would be good for curiosity and future use. i.e. what processor,
general system
type, open loop or not, sequential or batch injectors, does it have an
exhaust sensor of some
description you name it, if you know it, I want it.... :)

My problem at the moment though, is that it idles way too fast both at fast
idle and warm idle,
it absolutely chews through gas around town (as low as 20l 96 octane per
~120 km,
it seems i'm always
putting the stuff in), and it seems to have a big torque hole below 3200 rpm
(i.e. it pulls ok from
there, and really strong from about 4100 to 6000 before practically dying at
redline 6500, so
much so that it seems artificially induced but not by rev limiter.  Also,
there is a speed cutout
at 190 km/h that I want to remove ;-).  Want to fix it myself, as I don't
know of anyone local I
can trust to do a good job so I'd rather f*ck it up myself.  Oh, runs a
filthy black exhaust, so I
assume a rich running condition is to blame for at least some of the above,
but i'll leave you
to judge for yerself.

Anybody know of anything I can check for these problems?  Anybody know of
simple perf.
mods?

Cheers ears.

ps what does EGO and HEGO stand for, is this another name for a Lambda
sensor?

Mike Woodd
(wooddm at akcity.govt.nz)