Direct Ignition

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 22 12:40:53 GMT 1996

>brewer at thaad.tecmas.com (John Brewer) Wrote:

>| still coming up on the learning curve and I was wondering what direct
>| ignition is?  I hope it is not an idea I have been kicking around in my

>Direct ignition=no distributor.  One small coil per plug,
>
>Steve Ravet
>sravet at bangate.compaq.com

The books I have say (granted they're from the fifties and sixties):
        - any ignition system with more than one cylinder uses a
          distribution system (for high voltage distribution, the
          familiar "distributor" is used, when separate coils, the
          "distributor" is the controller or, eons ago, sets of
          points).

        - when the high voltage from the spark coil is switched from
          one cylinder to another, that is _secondary_ distribution

        - when the primary voltage is switched to different coils,
          that is _primary_ distribution  (guess this is now called
          _direct_ ignition).  This system has been around for several
          decades as primary distribution.

Tom Cloud
cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu