EFI musings

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 22 13:39:58 GMT 1996

"George M. Dailey" <gmd at tecinfo.com> wrote:

>Surprise, surprise! I drive '58 truck. But I've cheated with the TPI &
>700-R. I wonder what the other DIY'ers drive every day. Sound off.
>
>Simple, If you buy an already engineered system off of an junked car and
>retrofit to your carbed vehicle, you get that excellent mix if very low
>price & DIY satisfaction plus 14mpg city (plain HT-350 though).
>

>GMD

George,

Thank you.  A few of the posts I take the time to print and save (and
share).  Yours is one of those.  You've struck a chord with me --
what you've done is what seems to me to be the most logical
course of action.  My purchase of an aftermarket EFI was done
because I'd already spent $200 replacing the old variable venturi
carb on my Ford with a Holley carb.  Got better performance for the
same dismal (8 mpg) mileage.  Knew it should be at least 12 to 14 mpg.
Figured in about 30,000 miles, the $600 EFI system would pay for itself,
knew I'd never be happy with any carb (no, not even Carter / Edelbrock).
Several of my mechanic friends highly recommended the Holley EFI.  It
does quite well, but I want better.

My problem is that the Ford EEC-xx don't seem to be very 'loser friendly'.
Someone mentioned using a GM unit, and I can see that that might
not be such a bad idea -- mixing the Ford manifold, etc. with a
GM controller.  (Hey, I've (very slightly) even considered putting
a GM 350 back into my Bronco for the simple reason there is so much
stuff available for it.)

While I'm on this subject:  Hey, Ed Hernandez.  You're with Ford.
Why don't those guys promote more stuff for the car afficianado, huh ??

Thanks,
Tom Cloud