Truck parts Dynamometer.

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Thu Aug 22 15:06:08 GMT 1996

wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca Wrote:

| I think the easiest way for a DIYer to calculate power output from a
| vehicle is (as mentioned in other postings) to accelerate on a flat
| stretch of road while recording speed versus time.  From this
| acceleration can be calculated.  Power is calculated as Vehicle Mass *
| Acceleration * Speed.  If kg, meters/second squared, and meters/
| second are used the result is in Watts.

Someone on the hotrod list a long time ago suggested putting a hall effect
type sensor at the both ends of the driveshaft and measuring how much it
twists.  Another idea was a very large flywheel hanging in a pit in the
ground, measure how fast the engine is able to accelerate it.  This sounds
dangerous, but the driveshaft twist would be easy enough.

--steve

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...