EFI Conv.

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Aug 23 13:11:28 GMT 1996

At 09:33 PM 8/22/96 -0700, you wrote:
>First off a lowpressure? fuel pump must be used. 15 lbs is the nominal
>pressure. Most EFI pumps are in the 50 lb range.

Hi Peter, let me add a few tokens.  I have sucessfully ran The TBI with the
TPI pump with no problems. The regulator was able to compensate.

I have also ran the TBI with no VSS input with no adverse effect. Repair
manuals state this is for TCC lock up primarly.  I've read that you can hard
wire the P/N switch to supress the check engine light from coming on the TPI
systems.

Of special intrest to you Pete, while I was wiring my system I did the
following. GM's 1227165 ('89 TPI) is a direct plug in for GM's 1228746 (???
TBI, I think '89 police car). I know this aint uncommon but, when I powered
it up by mistake, and turned the distributor the injectors fired on the TPI
harnes and it displayed code 12.  Some TPI pros said that it will run the
TPI engine but tends to get rich on the top end.

Just thought I'd pass that tid bit to you.  I you can figure out a way to
universalize
the GM ECM, I'll name my next child Peter.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.