CPI vs. TBI

Matt Sale mds at mot.delcoelect.com
Fri Aug 23 15:37:47 GMT 1996

> CPI has been described to me as there being one or two large fuel
> injections in the throttle-body area; then there are runners from this
> "Central Port" to each of the intake ports.  This sounds to me likes it's
> fairly similar to a carbeurated manifold with fuel injectors in the
> throttle body (instead of a carbeurator).  How is that different than
> TBI??
>
> Thanks,
> -Jody

With TBI, the injectors (2 large ones) are mounted above the throttle
body, and fuel flows through it.  With CPI, the throttle body stays
dry, flowing strictly air.  The fuel is injected nearer to the intake
valve.  CPI is essentially a poor-mans SFI system, with fewer injectors.
You should be able to find better descriptions and pictures in some of
the car magazines from last summer or fall.

TBI is more similar to a carburator than CPI is.

--
Matthew D. Sale,  IC Development Engineer, Delco Electronics Corp.
msale at holli.com   http://www.holli.com/~msale

All responses are my own and should not be mistaken
for those of Delco Electronics or General Motors.