Dyno's

David M Parrish dmp at bmesun1.MCG.EDU
Fri Aug 23 17:17:27 GMT 1996

> From:          Robert Van Zant <rvanzant at van.inc.net>

>      Sorry to be dense.  I'm not exactly clear how one would (on
> a home budget) convert 200hp to boiling water, but I do know that 65

As far as I know, your typical engine dyno is water cooled. (And regulated
by water level. (?))  200HP = 128,237 Kcal/hr and it takes 539
kilo-calories to convert one kilogram of 100 degC water to 100 degC
steam . 128,237/539 = 238 kg/hr, or about 65 gallons.

>From a previous post, someone said you can get a the heart of a dyno
for less than $4K. Not quite out of the range of a DIY'er. Using a
truck retarder for the load cell looks interesting too.

I liked the idea of using a pool for the heatsink. Too bad I live in
Georgia and there isn't a pool nearby I can use. I do have a nice big lake
just a couple of hundred yards from the house though...

---
David Parrish
Hey, I may have solved my
winter shop heating problem!