real time dyno?

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Mon Aug 26 16:54:33 GMT 1996

> > The strain gauge on the driveshaft sure seems like a interesting way
> > to measure torque (at least relative) in real time, although wiring
> > problems would seem to preclude it.  My meager mind has trouble
> > comprehending accomplishing the resolution necessary with hall
> > effect sensors.

All this stuff about real time dyno's seems to have a problem.
You're not taking into account the fact that you are accelerating the
car and not steady state.  You're torque will always be low unless you
calc in all your masses and wind resistance and frictions and try to
calc out the lost torque.
As well as try to get a repeatable condition.  Up hill, down hill, up
wind, down wind, etc. etc. etc.
We used to try to calibrate cars on the road, what a disaster, you're
always nervous about the law, as well as ons and off's and people
jumping across the road at you.
Almost been killed way too many times by women in vanagons putting on
lipstick at 80 mph going down the highway not paying attention.
No thanks!  Give me my engine dyno back.  I can sit in safety in my
little room and calibrate to my hearts content.  No worries at all.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering.