real time dyno?

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Tue Aug 27 02:28:54 GMT 1996

wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca wrote:

> If you can manage to put a strain gage on you drive shaft and get it
> calibrated, ....  Of
> course, constructing and calibrating such a monster is not a trivial
> task.

Will makes a good point which has plagued me over the years... how does
one go about calibrating a home-made dyno?  To some degree, a
strain-gauge sensor has some attraction, since its resistance change with
strain is a known quantity, but one must still be able to equate that
strain to torque, which depends on the mechanism and the position of the
strain gauge.  And while there may effective ways to absorb power by
other means, the measurement of the absorbed power still seems devilish.
Any ideas on means, or does anyone have knowledge of how the commercial
dyno manufacturers do calibration?
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....