speaking of displays & DPM

Darrell Norquay dnorquay at awinc.com
Tue Aug 27 02:57:38 GMT 1996

At 10:55 AM 8/26/96 -0600, you wrote:

>>>No, LCD displays don't work well when they're cold.  The temp extremes
>>>inside a car is fine for LCD -- except very cold days.
>>>
>>>tom cloud

Older LCD panels were easily destroyed by temps in the +40C range.  Newer
technologies are better, but they still suffer from "freezup" when the temp
goes below zero.  You can get extended temp range LCD's, but generally they
are optimized either for high temp extremes or low temp extremes, but not both.
Lowest operating temp I have seen on a LCD panel is -20C.  Ever wonder why
auto manufacturers don't used LCD's in the dash?  Now you know.

regards
dn
dnorquay at awinc.com