Real time dyno

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Tue Aug 27 11:02:18 GMT 1996

At 09:00 AM 8/27/96 GMT, you wrote:

>DIY_EFI Digest            Tuesday, 27 August 1996      Volume 01 : Number 248
>
>In this issue:
>
>	Re: Re[2]: real time dyno?
>	Re: Strain gages on the drive shaft for torque measurement
>	Re: speaking of displays & DPM
>	re: Re: Digital EFI  How?
>	Newer VATS Vehicles
>	Re: Newer VATS Vehicles
>	Re: Fuel Pump Return line
>	Re: speaking of displays & DPM
>
>See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
>DIY_EFI or DIY_EFI-Digest mailing lists.

>From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter at rt66.com>
>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 20:25:33 -0700
>Subject: Re: Re[2]: real time dyno?
>
>wmcgonegal at rr.etc.ncr.doe.ca wrote:
>

>> If you can manage to put a strain gage on you drive shaft and get it
>> calibrated, ....  Of
>> course, constructing and calibrating such a monster is not a trivial
>> task.
>
>Will makes a good point which has plagued me over the years... how does
>one go about calibrating a home-made dyno?  To some degree, a
>strain-gauge sensor has some attraction, since its resistance change with
>strain is a known quantity, but one must still be able to equate that
>strain to torque, which depends on the mechanism and the position of the
>strain gauge.  And while there may effective ways to absorb power by
>other means, the measurement of the absorbed power still seems devilish.
>Any ideas on means, or does anyone have knowledge of how the commercial
>dyno manufacturers do calibration?
>Cheers.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you care? As long as there is
traction most power is going to directly read on accelerometer which need only
establish what adjustments work best, not best as compared to XXXX. Whatever
vehicle parameters are will show in best tuning for accelerometer readings.
Why make it complicated?