DIY_EFI Digest V1 #248 -Reply

FRED FRANCIS FRED_FRANCIS at mail.dnr.state.ga.us
Tue Aug 27 17:36:58 GMT 1996

I've been reading the list for a while now but have never
commented.  I would like the list members' opinions.  I want
to build a fuel injected Chevy 350.  It should have about
10.5:1 compression. Ported out AFR aluminum heads.  TPI
specialties mini-ram manifold (looks like current LT1 but
made for forward cool engines)  Cam with about 222deg dur
at .050" and .480" lift intake and 232 deg dur at .050" and
.510" lift exhaust.  1 3/4 " headers, low restriction exhaust
etc.... 6" connecting rods.  I'm considering buying and EFI
computer and associated wiring and sensors.  Talked to a
guy at Mr. Gasket (they make the DFI/accel system used in
many similar engines in the car mags) and he says that I
would gain almost no benefit from a sequential system vs a
batch fire system.  I also want to look at an ECM from Motec
but it is a LOT more expensive.  Will there be a significant
advantage to using sequential port injection vs batch fire?
Does anyone have any experience with either of these
aftermarket programmable systems?  I want bulletproof
reliability combined with stellar performance and tuneability.
Will I have an advantage to having a system that is
programmable vs having to get someone to burn the correct
chip for my engine for use in a standard GM computer?  I
already have a laptop to run the software necessary to
configure one of the aftermarket systems.  What do you all
think?

~~fred francis