Newer VATS Vehicles

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Wed Aug 28 03:37:35 GMT 1996

At 08:41 PM 8/27/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:16 PM 8/26/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Also simply disabling the VATS bit in the eprom doesn't always work.
>>You also have to disable the error code mask if you don't want a
>>Vats error.
>>
>>GL : peter
>

>Quick question for you Pete. Is the Vats error code available for the non
>Vetts?  I could never get a vats error code on my '89 tpi (Firebird).
>
>Thanks,
>GMD
Hi George

The vats error code #46 is I believe pertinent to 90 and later.
I think all you would have to do is disable the vats bit and not
worry about it.

There are four bytes in your code which have different bits to set things
like shift lite,tcc, egr ect besides vats. Even if one doesn't have the
code licked you could still set the bits to zero till you find the right one
Took me three tries but I had narrowed it down.

Error code #46 is a low level code so even if it did exist the ECM would not
go into backup. And usually it is disabled by the vats set bit. But I've
been told there are applications where a separate disable is necessary for the
error code.

Later George: peter