Newer VATS Vehicles

Wayne Braun Wayne.Braun at Develcon.com
Wed Aug 28 15:26:05 GMT 1996

At 09:16 PM 8/27/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 07:49 AM 8/27/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>>More and more GM vehicles are using VATS. The newer units are still a
>>
>>Okay, time for me to ask the dumb question:  what's VATS ?
>>
>>tom cloud
>
>Vehicle Anti Theft System. Uses resister coded key and matched module to
>inform the ECM if the original key is used. A fail signal causes the ecm to
>not fire the injectors.  Bottom line... this system make the car less
>attractive to the novice thief. Any one out there with statistics on Vette
>thiefts before and after Vats??
>
>gmd

        I donm't know about vettes, but I recently watched a program on A&E
about stolen vehicles. The year that GM started putting the VATS stuff into
the camero/firebird theft dropped something like 75%. This same program
re-stated a couple of things;

        1 - If you make it difficult or inconvenient for the thief to steal the
            vehicle, many times they will go somewhere else. Using items like
            " The Club " actually do in many cases cause the thief to go find an
            easier target.

        2 - If the thief is REALLY intent on stealing your car, he/she will.
No matter
            what you do to try to stop the thief, if they are that intent on
getting
            this particular vehicle they WILL find a way to do so.

        Regards
        Wayne Braun