Real time dyno

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 28 20:50:46 GMT 1996

>So, the acceleration thing, is not only not practical for on the road
>use, but doesn't really give much results either.

>An EGO sensor and a knock sensor from J&S with a monitor will get you
>calibrated 10 times faster.  Don't worry about the changes till you're
>done then record the results and get a graph or something.  The basic
>engine combination is more of a factor to record changes, the tuning is
>just set up for a specific engine combo.

Todd,

My specific requirement has been to tune my current (Holley) EFI.
The Idle, Midrange, Accelerator Pump, and Choke adjustments are
simple enough.  It's the Power adjustment that's too darned
subjective for me.  I used my EGO (but it's probably deteriorated
with age -- ~ 14 years and 150,000 miles), and, of course, it tells
me I'm either rich or richer.  And frankly, I'm not one to want to
do a bunch of timed runs to find the optimum setting.  Seems to me
being able to adjust acceleration for a peak would be a good way
to adjust operation at WOT (understand I have a little more than
4 or 5 seconds to work with here).

So, what's a J&S knock sensor?

Tom Cloud