Bosch to Hitachi Maf

Terry McLane 312.630.0533 MCLANE.TERRY at ntrs.com
Thu Aug 29 14:09:01 GMT 1996

    Thanks for the advice on how to invert the signal.  The second part of
    my question related to some type of manual adjustment of the signal.
    In otherwords, the existing bosch MAF is setup to be wide open (0
    volts) at engine peak torque (3200).  It may flow about 220 CFM at this
    point.  On the other hand, the Hitachi MAF may be able to flow 500 CFM,
    so a way needs to be found to adjust the voltage signal (besides
    inverting it), that the ECU would see.  Assume that we have measured
    the voltage output of both units at 10 and 220 CFM (assume air
    temperature is equal).  The Bosch puts out 4.7v at 10, and .3 volts at
    220 CFM.  On the other hand, the Hitachi puts out .5v at 10 CFM and
    3.6v at 220.  I'd like to have a programmable device that could convert
    the two, interpolating the voltage signals between the actual measured
    values (in this example, only two).  Now that I've explained the
    situation better, perhaps there is a single solution to both the
    inversion and interpolation.  Ideally, a black box which mates to the
    Hitachi MAF, and has a few dials one for each CFM level (actually MASS
    AIR level) allowing a user to specify the output reference voltage at
    each mass level, with the box interpolating between these. This type of
    device would allow you to use the excellent Hitachi MAF in place of
    most other MAF sensors.  Anyone want to productize this and make some
    money?

    Terry McLane tm8 at ntrs.com