Bosch to Hitachi MAF

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Fri Aug 30 00:51:59 GMT 1996

>the existing bosch MAF is setup to be wide open (0 volts) at engine
>peak torque (3200).  It may flow about 220 CFM at this point.  On the
>other hand, the Hitachi MAF may be able to flow 500 CFM, so a way
>needs to be found to adjust the voltage signal (besides inverting
>it), that the ECU would see.

If 220CFM is 0V, then how is the ECU going to determine anything more
than that (ie: negative volts).  The way it looks to me is your ECU is
limiting your airflow as much as your AFM.

>Assume that we have measured the voltage output of both units at 10
>and 220 CFM (assume air temperature is equal).  The Bosch puts out
>4.7v at 10, and .3 volts at 220 CFM.  On the other hand, the Hitachi
>puts out .5v at 10 CFM and 3.6v at 220.

Like all other MAFs, the Hitachi unit (I presume it's a bypass unit
similar to that fitted to the previous model Taurus, and many other
Fords), is non-linear and therefore a 2-point calibration will not be
adequate.

Also, at large throttle openings, the signal jumps around a bit, and
the only way I know of getting around this is to purposely alias the
signal by sampling synchronously at a pre-determined crank position.
(I'm assuming a digital controller)

Setting this up is no easy task (speaking from experience here) and if
you get it wrong, you'll likely be out by more than 100% in some areas
of the speed-load map.

Andrew Rabbitt
Orbital Engine Company
PERTH Australia