rec.autos: Automotive Mailing Lists

Robert McElroy rmcelroy at midcom.anza.com
Wed Dec 4 11:55:57 GMT 1996

I saw this in one of the Internet newsgroups (rec.autos.rod-n-custom) =
and thought it might be of interest to those people in the group that =
have inquired about other automotive mailing lists.  I cannot take any =
credit (nor can I accept any flames) for this compilation.  Any =
thanks/praise/criticism/corrections should be directed to the fellow who =
claims responsibility for the compilation, one Richard Welty =
(rwelty at wizvax.net) is noted as the =
author/editor/administrator/whatever.  I did notice that the DIY_EFI =
mailing list is conspicuously absent.  I didn't feel that it was my =
place to invite others to this list (just like I wouldn't invite =
strangers to a house party at someone else's house.)  It is long, but =
contains a lot of good information.

Automotive Mailing Lists (Electronic Mail, that is):

[last updated 10/27/96; new address for Dragnet mailing list, TBird
    mailing list, new Chevy Impala SS list, corrected info on Peugeot
    list, added Opel GT list, new address for Talon/Eclipse/Laser list,
    different request address for MR2 digest, new address for Classic
    Mustang list, replacement lists for the old Porschephiles list,
    VW Vanagon list split, new Military Vehicles list, new address for
    Miata list, new list for owners of 1947-1959 Chevy & GMC trucks, new
    info for Formula SAE list -- rpw]

There are a number of electronic mailing lists on the network devoted to
various special automotive topics.  Some of these are very specialized,
and at the end of this posting I list a number that are focused on
the activities of specific localized clubs.

To the best of my knowledge, all the lists appearing here have open
membership policies.  It is my policy not to list `closed' mailing lists
here.

The information in this listing is only as good as my informants;
if a list stops working or moves, i will not necessarily be informed
of it.

The current version of this list is available via anonymous FTP:

ftp://ftp.wizvax.net/pub/personal/rwelty/Autos/mailing-lists.text

It is maintained by Richard Welty (rwelty at wizvax.net).

Most mailing lists provide separate addresses for administrative
queries and for general mail; where separate administrative
addresses exist, I have listed those below, as the general addresses
are not appropriate for inquirys and requests.

Listserv, listproc & majordomo:

these are the three most common automatic list handlers.  Listserv
and listproc take similar commands; majordomo is subtly different.
commands for all three should be in the body of the mail message.
a listserv/listproc request to join the honda list should look like
the following:

sub HONDA-L Joe. W. NewGuy

note the real name.  listserv/listproc will get the email address from =
the
message header.

a majordomo request to join the italian cars list should look like

subscribe italian-cars-digest newGuy at aol.com

note the email address and lack of real name.  the email address is
optional; if omitted, majordomo will extract the real name from=20
the message header (this is often the best way to handle this.)

------<list of lists starts here>-------

Acura
         (see Honda list below)

Acura NSX
         (send requests to majordomo at ganglion.anes.med.umich.edu;
             majordomo command is subscribe nsx)

Alfa Romeo Digest
         (send requests to majordomo at mailgate.wizvax.net; majordomo
            command is subscribe alfa-digest)

AMC      (American Motors Corporation)
         (send requests to listserv at scan.si.edu; the listserv command is
           subscribe amc-list Your Real Name Here)

American Sedan (SCCA road race class, 5.0L Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds)
         (send requests to asedan-request at pms706.pms.ford.com)

Audi
         (send requests to majordomo at coimbra.ans.net, command is
            subscribe quattro)

Autocross/Solo
         (send requests to autox-request at autox.team.net, handled by
           majordomo)

Autorace (autoracing, particularly NASCAR, F1, Indycar.  also
          see wheeltowheel below for another interesting list.
          send requests to listserv at vtvm1.cc.vt.edu)

Datsun Bluebird/1600/510
         (send requests to bluebirds-request at hpcvts.cv.hp.com)

BMW Digest
         (majordomo list; send requests
                to bmw-digest-request at mailgate.wizvax.net)

British Cars
         (send requests to majordomo at autox.team.net, command is
             subscribe british-cars)

British Cars (pre-war)
         (send requests to majordomo at autox.team.net, command is
             subscribe british-cars-pre-war)

Buick Grand National/Turbo Regal/GNX
         (send requests to gnttype-request at buick.monsanto.com)

Camaro/Firebird (GM F-body)
         (send requests to majordomo at cisco.com, command is
            subscribe f-body-digest
          this address may no longer be correct)

Chevrolet Impala SS (94-96)
         (send requests to listproc at east.xsis.xerox.com, command is=20
          SUBSCRIBE IMPALA Joe Schmoe)

Chevy & GMC Trucks (1947-1959)
         (send requests to majordomo at teleport.com, command is
          subscribe oletrucks-l your at email.address.here)

Citroen 2cv
         (send requests to listproc at lists.missouri.edu, command is
            subscribe 2cv-l Fred Q. NewGuy)

Corrado (VW)
         (send requests to majordomo at teleport.com, command is
            subscribe corrado-l)

Corvair
         (send requests to bryan at mitre.org)

Corvettes
   [these lists are in -mild- turmoil; an update will be along as soon
    as i plow through my backlog -- rpw]

   Competition:
          (send requests to vettes-request at chaos.lrk.ar.us)
   General:
          (send requests to vettes-request at asuvm.inre.asu.edu)

Dakota (pickup trucks)
         (send requests to dakota-request at csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu)

Datsun/Fairlady Roadsters
         (send requests to majordomo at autox.team.net, command is
           subscribe datsun-roadsters)

Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000GT
        (send requests to stealth-request at dragnet.com)

Drag Racing
         (send requests to dragnet-request at htrd.com)

Electric Vehicles
         (send requests to LISTSERV at sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu; command
           is "subscribe ev Your Real Name Here".)

Exotic-Cars
         (send requests to exotic-cars-request at sol.asl.hitachi.com)

Ferrari
         (send requests to majordomo at nmt.edu; command is
           subscribe ferrari)

Ford
         (send requests to fordnatics-request at lists1.best.com;
           subscribe commands are=20
           subscribe fordnatics    =20
              -and-
           subsingle fordnatics
           the former for digest and the latter for regular)

Ford Bronco (early types)
          (send requests to jgarden at pepperdine.edu)

Ford Escort
         (send requests to philhy at junior.nsm.uh.edu)

Ford Explorer
         (send requests to server at slic.cts.com, command is
            subscribe explorer-l)

Ford Festiva
         (send requests to wd22yl at sun1.wwb.noaa.gov)

Ford Mustang
         (see entry under Mustang below)

Ford Probe
         (send requests to majordomo at bh.org, command is
            subscribe ford-probe)

Ford Thunderbird (1955-1966)
         (subscription via web site prefered,  =
http://www.autopro.com/tbird/
          send email requests to gwotel at autopro.com)

Formula SAE cars & competition
         (send requests to listproc at list.gatech.edu, use listserv style
           commands, subscribe command is subscribe fsae Your Real Name)

GMC Sport (Syclone, Typhoon, Sonoma GT)
         (send requests to listserv at netcom.com (really majordomo); =
command
           is subscribe gmc-sport)

Hondas
         (send requests to listserv at brownvm.brown.edu; listname
          is honda-l

Honda NSX
         (see Acura NSX above)

Hot rods
         (send requests to hotrod-request at dsea.com)

International Harvester Digest (discussion of Scouts, pickups, etc.)
         (majordomo list; send requests
                to ihc-digest-request at mailgate.wizvax.net)

Isuzu
         (send requests to isuzu-owners-request at frontier.lonestar.org)

Italian Cars
         (majordomo list; send requests to
             italian-cars-digest-request at mailgate.wizvax.net)

Jaguars
         (send requests to majordomo at psy.uwa.edu.au,
          command is "subscribe jag-lovers")

Jeeps    (send commands to listproc at knuth.mtsu.edu,
          command is "subscribe jeep-l Your Real Name Goes Here")

Karting
         (send requests to karting-request at majordomo.interlog.com;
          managed by majordomo, command is "subscribe karting")

Kit Cars
         (send requests to kitcar-request at bolis.sf-bay.org)

Land Speed Record discussions
         (send requests to lsr-request at mgu.bath.ac.uk or
            lsr-digest-request at mgu.bath.ac.uk; include the
            word subscribe in Subject: line of the message)

Land Rovers
         (send requests to majordomo at team.net; use the commands
            subscribe land-rover-owner
           or subscribe lro-digest)

Lotus
         (send requests to lotus-cars-request at lists1.best.com;
           subscribe commands are=20
           subscribe lotus-cars    =20
              -and-
           subsingle lotus-cars
           the former for digest and the latter for regular)

Marshal
         (for discussions by participants in the running of race =
meetings,
          such as Marshals, Stewards, and all other Race Officials.
          send request to listserv at vollans.demon.co.uk; the command is
          subscribe marshal-l "Your Real Name")

Mazdas
         (send requests to mazda-list-request at ms.uky.edu)

Mercedes
         (send requests to majordomo at bga.com; use standard majordomo
          requests)

Ford Merkur/XR4Ti/Scorpio
         (majordomo at npl.com; command is "subscribe merkur-l")

Miata
         (listserv at list.miata.net; use standard listserv subscription
         procedure, the command is "subscribe miata Joe New Reader")

Military Vehicles
         (mil-veh at skylee.com is the only address I have; I have no info
          on list management procedures)

Minis    (famous and very, very, very small british car.
           send to majordomo at autox.team.net, command is
           subscribe mini-list)

Monte Carlo (Chevy)
         (majordomo at darklair.com, command is    subscribe monte-list)

Mopar
         (mostly high performance Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth products;
          run by majordomo, send requests to =
mopar-request at mopar.tamu.edu)

MR2
         (send requests to mr2-digest-request at validgh.com)

Mustangs
   the classic mustangs list is for Mustangs through 1973,
   the modern mustang list has ceased operation, and no "official"
   replacement has yet appeared, although there is much discussion of
   the modern 5.0L Mustang on Fordnatics.  Nobody cares about the Pinto,
   er, Mustang II, so don't ask.

         (send requests to majordomo at staff.istar.ca, use majordomo =
commands
          (obviously), classic-mustangs-digest is name of digest =
version,
          classic-mustangs is name of regular version)

Neon
         (send requests to neon-request at iastate.edu, run by majordomo)

Nissan (Datsun)
         (appears to have vanished.  sorry.)

Nissan Maxima
         (send requests to maxima-request at zmall.com, include the word
            "subscribe" in the body of the message)

Offroad & 4X4
        For 4WD vehicle related technical discussions and trip reports.
        Please include your real name in your subscription request.
         (send requests to offroad-request at off-road.com)

Oldsmobile
         (send requests to majordomo at ccn.cs.dal.ca, command is
           "subscribe oldsmobile")

Opel GT  (send requests to opel-request at arqmsen.dow.on.doe.ca)

Peugeot
         (send requests to peugeot-request at arqmsen.dow.on.doe.ca)

Porsches
         (send requests to PorscheFans-request at ioio.com; the command =
will be:
            subscribe PorscheFans-356
            subscribe PorscheFans-911
            subscribe PorscheFans-928
            subscribe Porschefans-924-944
          for the particular sublist you are interested in)

Portland, Oregon Motorsports Activities
         (send requests to pdxracer-request at reed.edu)

Race Car Fabrication
         (send requests to racefab at pms706.pms.ford.com)

Rally
         (send requests to majordomo at scifi.maid.com; the majordomo
           commands are "subscribe rally-l" or "subscribe =
rally-l-digest")

RX7
         (send requests to majordomo at world.std.com; the majordomo
           commands are "subscribe rx7" or "subscribe rx7-digest")

Saabs
         (send requests to saab at network.mhs.compuserve.com)

Saabs (UK)
         (send requests to saab-request at alphavil.demon.co.uk)

Saturn
         (send requests to saturn-request at mln.com)

Sentra SE-R, G20, N2000
         (send requests to majordomo at deskmedia.com; majordomo
           commands are one of:
                subscribe se-r-reflective
                subscribe se-r-digest)

Sports Car Racing
         (for the discussion of Sports Car Racing such as done by
          IMSA, etc., _not_ for general discussion of road going cars.
          send request to listserv at vollans.demon.co.uk; the command is
          subscribe sportscar-l "Your Real Name")

Sunbeam Alpines
         (send requests to alpines-request at autox.team.net)

Sunbeam Tigers
         (request address unclear; list is at tigers at spice.sc.intel.com)

Supras
         (send requests to supras-request at vicor.com)

Talon/Eclipse/Laser
         (send requests to talon-request at dsm.org)

Taurus SHO
         (send requests to listserv at american.edu; command is
            SUB shotimes-l Your Real Name)

Thunderbirds (classic & vintage)
         (send requests to gwotel at hooked.net)

Toyota
         (send requests to listproc2 at bgu.edu; use listserv style =
commands)

Triumph Stag
         (send requests to majordomo at mailgate.wizvax.net; command
          in body of message is "subscribe stag")

Triumph TR7/V8, TR8
         (send requests to tr8-request at mercury.lcs.mit.edu)

Touring Car Racing
         (for the discussion of Touring Car Racing such as done by
          BTC, DTM2, etc., _not_ for general discussion of road going =
cars.
          send request to listserv at vollans.demon.co.uk; the command is
          subscribe touringcar-l "Your Real Name")

VW (aircooled)
         (send requests to listserv at sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu; use normal
          listserv format)

VW Vanagon (watercooled)
         (send requests to listserv at lenti.med.umn.edu; use normal
          listserv format; list name is Vanagon)

VW Vanagon (aircooled Type II)
         (send requests to type2-request at primenet.com; use normal
           majordomo format, listname is type2)

Wheel-to-Wheel Racing
         (forum for race drivers, workers, crew, and wannabes;
          send requests to wheeltowheel-request at abingdon.sun.com)

Z-Cars (Nissan/Datsun)
         (send requests to majordomo at taex001.tamu.EDU)

Localized lists:

Empire Motor Sports Club (Albany NY)
        (send requests to emsc-request at lists.balltown.cma.com; list is
          managed by majordomo)

Mohawk Hudson Region, SCCA (Albany NY)
        (send requests to mohud-request at lists.balltown.cma.com; list is
          managed by majordomo)

Pacific Northwest Region
        (pdxracer at reed.edu (moderated by Ben Bradley - bradley at reed.edu)

Tidewater Sports Car Club, Norfolk VA and surrounds
        (send requests to majordomo at TSquare.com; use normal majordomo
          commands)