injector duty cycles

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Fri Dec 6 17:56:36 GMT 1996

Mark Eidson wrote:

> I noticed that my fuel injected 75 280Z has a fuel pressure regulator that
> is controlled by manifold pressure.  I assume that this compensates for
> presssure differential across the injectors.  Has anyone made a system that
> uses an ECU controlled fuel pressure regulator to compensate for the wide
> range from idle to WOT?

me,
	Bosch used an electromechanical fuel injection system on a lot of the
super high horsepower F1 cars in the mid 80's.  They were running so
much boost pressure (5 bar absolute) that standard electronic injectors
wouldn't really work in that application.  As well as the boost being so
high they were running 100 bar fuel pressure or so to get the stuff to
atomize.
	These engines were pretty phenomenal, producing 1500 hp out of a 1.5l 4
or 6 cylinder.  Pretty neat stuff.
	They used the computer to basically control a mechanical type fuel pump
(a la kugelfischer or something of the sorts).
	Now days, with all the hp limiters and no more boost they're basically
back to boring old fuel injectors.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering