Flywheel/Encoder patterns

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Fri Dec 6 20:23:58 GMT 1996

Hi There,

> An encoder giving absolute crank position would implicitly supply an
> interrupt when the position changes value. Reading crank position directly
> means you wouldn't have to fool with timers or counters to derive it. You'd
> also know exactly what the position is upon start-up without having to store
> the last known position info upon shutdown. No way around the cam sensor tho
> that I can see.

I still have not figured out why one could not replace the distributor
with a 512 line Grey/binary encoder with 9 bits of absolute crank position.

Make a backlash free coupling to the shaft and perhaps preload the
shaft in the engine as well.

Absolute position to 1.4deg on the crank (0.7 on the cam shaft)

Cheers     *<<<-|
--
Kalle Pihlajasaari   kalle at ip.co.za   http://www.ip.co.za/ip
Interface Products   P O Box 15775, DOORNFONTEIN, 2028, South Africa