Flywheel/Encoder patterns

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Sat Dec 7 00:40:54 GMT 1996

Walters Chris wrote:

> >Just fire the injectors batch every TDC, and lost spark ignition or
> >have the computer fire a coil into a mechanical distributor, then you'll
> >never care where TDC is.
>
> Wouldn't  this be wasting 7X as much fuel as needed since only one piston
> will be starting its power stroke at any given TDC?

	No.
	Firing at every TDC versus Sequential firing at each cylinders TDC just
means that you're firing the injector twice as often and half as long.
Only two of the cylinders would get the happiness of being fired on at
TDC while the others would get the fuel fired at some point other than
their own TDC.
	We're only firing the injectors at the engines TDC, not each
cylinders.  It works fine because the fuel just atomizes in the port.
Sequential tends to get a bit better emmissions at low speed conditions,
but anything over 3000 rpm's and batch or sequential don't really make
any difference.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering

		1	6	2	4	3	5
		TDC			TDC
Batch or Group	Fire			Fire
Fire all injectors at once

Sequential
1st rev		Fire		Fire		Fire
2nd rev			Fire		Fire		Fire
Fire only individual injectors at each cylinders TDC