Flywheel/Encoder patterns

Jeffrey Engel jengel at FastLane.NET
Sat Dec 7 16:16:17 GMT 1996

Mazda Ebrahimi <kleenair at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Jeffrey Engel wrote:
> >
> > > Subject:       Re: Flywheel/Encoder patterns
> > > From:          Kalle Pihlajasaari <kalle at device.data.co.za>
> >
> > > Hi There,
> >
> > An encoder giving absolute crank position would implicitly supply an
> > interrupt when the position changes value. Reading crank position directly
> > means you wouldn't have to fool with timers or counters to derive it. You'd
> > also know exactly what the position is upon start-up without having to store
> > the last known position info upon shutdown. No way around the cam sensor tho
> > that I can see.
>
> The only real world advatage I see to the encoder is quicker starting with lower
> emissions.  Updating the degree count takes very little time in the processor.  We still
> have to employ a timer to calculate RPM, right?

Actually, the above is far too sage to have been written by me.  I
got into this discussion by remarking that Grumpy Jenkins found
enough crank flex (at 650+ HP) to make sub-degree measurements
useless.   Of course he had to deal with crank AND cam flex because
the distributor is at the back of the engine.

Someone a while back made the point that burning is a function of
time, not crank angle.  Would it be practical to find TDC of the
cylinders and use a time offset?

je
jengel at fastlane.net