Flywheel/Encoder patterns

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 7 17:00:00 GMT 1996

Jeffrey Engel wrote:

> Actually, the above is far too sage to have been written by me.  I
> got into this discussion by remarking that Grumpy Jenkins found
> enough crank flex (at 650+ HP) to make sub-degree measurements
> useless.   Of course he had to deal with crank AND cam flex because
> the distributor is at the back of the engine.
>
> Someone a while back made the point that burning is a function of
> time, not crank angle.  Would it be practical to find TDC of the
> cylinders and use a time offset?
>
> jeI'm happy to get everything right at one degree or less error.
I think its proven that the method you are saying works well, but my
motive for going to 180 teeth wasn't just better accuracy.  I did it to
simplify the required programming. by having one pulse per degree, you
no longer have to estimate when the next event is comming up by
calculating the time required at a given engine speed to reach the next
coil or injector firing.  When the degree count is advanced to the right
number, you turn your device on.

Best Regards,
Mazda