DIY_EFI Digest V1 #376

talltom antispam at eat.it
Mon Dec 9 12:03:57 GMT 1996

> From: RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:54:00 est
> Subject: Forwarded: Engine braking????
>
> this sounds very dubious to me!

Well, there's definetly a rat running around here somewhere!

> For a start, you'd want to advance your timing to involve the
> compression stroke, and what then about knock control?

I suspect that the amount of advance could be tailored to brake but
not necessarily knock.

> On the other hand, if you're off the loud pedal, you're more likely to
> be in over-run fuelling cut mode, therefore spark is not likely to do
> much for you.

That may be part of the key, because the braking doesn't occur until
the brake is just tapped, not applied. This could trigger a switch
t start it, with a provision to only work over x mph/rpm?

  Anyhow all I know is that he's had the thing for months and several
thousand miles and didn't discover it until the hunting trip. I guess
he had about 8000# trailer and going downhill onw tap on the brake
and speed would not increase, period. Also without the trailer in 4x4
in low range, low gear(auto) one tap on the brake and it would hold
5mph on a 10% grade.  This is what facinated me, as I have a 4x4 rig
with lower gears, bigger engine and essentially the same tranny and
there's no way mine can be geared down slow on a downhill.

  I was just hoping maybe one of the factory guys might pipe up with some
explanation, but that doesn't seem to be the case, and I'm not interested
enough to pursue it.

--

How long will it take Clinton's lies to to put him where he belongs?
(he belongs in line for welfare as the door closes with a sign that says
"closed due to lack of funds".) Let somebody who can stomach him support
him.

Don't blame me, I voted for Harry Browne!