MAF Sensors Placement

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Wed Dec 11 01:17:19 GMT 1996

Mark Eidson wrote:

> In turbocharged or supercharged systems should the MAF sensor be placed at
> the inlet, between the impeller and intercooler or between the intercooler
> and intake manifold?

	It's a compromise either way, between the intercooler and the intake
manifold the thing picks up all kinds of resonances and the flow path is
not exactly laminar.
	But, and that's a big one, anywhere prior to the intercooler the thing
suffers from blowback when you lift off the throttle.  The MAF reads in
both directions and will register positive flow even though the throttle
is shut down after a boost run.  The engine will flood out with no air
and lots of fuel.  We've tried just about every type of recirc valve,
and pop off that we could and did not completely remedy the problem.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering