Weird problem

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Thu Dec 12 17:01:41 GMT 1996

Gregory Chan wrote:
> > >         I have been on this list now for quite a while now and I
> > >have learnt much about fuel injections systems, however, I have a
> > >problem which I am at a loss to solve. The car is a Toyota Corolla
> > >GTS with a 4AG motor. I have 10.5:1 pistons, 288 cams and a tweaked
> > >stock EFI system. The motor redlines the gears up to 4th, however,
> > >5th does not go past 6,000 rpm and I am losing quite a lot of top
> > >speed here as the redline is at 7,500 rpm. I have done an indicated
> > >speed of 210 km/h with the present wheel/tire combination and a stock
> > >engine @ 7,000 rpm in 5th gear before.
>          I haven't dynoed the car as I am not a serious racer and the
> car is used for highway racing, hence my need for top speed. I
> just can't get past 6,000 rpm even down a hill.

Gregory,
	Will the thing ever go beyond 6,000, even with no load sitting in the
parking lot?
	Is the power up to 6,000 rpm respectable or is it a slow fall off?
	Does your modified system have some built in rev limiter you don't know
about?
	When the thing stops at 6,000 rpm's is the engine misfiring, smooth,
backfiring, does the tach jump, do you notice black smoke out the tail
pipe?
	Do you have an air fuel monitor on the engine, if so what's the fuel
doing.
	Is your dwell set properly? or is it a function in the computer?
	Is your spark plug gap too large, coil too weak, rotor phasing off?

	We need more input to help you solve this one.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering