Fwd: eddy current brake

tom cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 13 14:30:43 GMT 1996

>600 RPM is a typical V8 idle speed, but cranking speed may be more
>in the 200-400 RPM range, and the accel and decel's in the crank to
>run transition are quite severe, making a PLL approach like this
>problematic.  As others have mentioned, PLL jitter is not your
>largest error source, accel, decel, and just the sinusoidal nature
>of crankshaft speed due to the firing events cause errors.  Thats
>why more reference points are better, up to some realistic limit.
>
>I think a PLL based system can work, though; if its thoroughly
>thought out.

My '82 Bronco and my son's '86 both use 4-lobed crank sensors with
no other inputs from the distributor or other.  The PLL solution must
be how they operated these vehicles ?????   Anyone know about how
they did that?  Why don't they still do that -- or do they?

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>