Check out the new diy_efi / efi332 web site!

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Sat Dec 14 16:50:54 GMT 1996

Howdy,
After getting over the feeling that I was borrowing someone else's car to
take to the demo derby, I managed to give the old diy/332 website a going
over. Well, maybe major remodel would be more accurate. I would like anyone
interested to stop by and have a look.

WARNING: THERE IS NOW COLOR... LEAVING YOUR MONITOR ON AT NIGHT WHILE TUNED
TO THIS WEB SITE MAY PREVENT YOU FROM SLEEPING.

Here is a list of what was changed or added:

Added some simple logos.
Added background colors.
Changed some of the navigation.
Added global navigation to most of the pages.
Created links for FTP access for use from your web browser.
Created some new directories for efi332 files.
Zipped up and moved everything out of the pile in the incoming directory.
Put all of that stuff into the appropriate outgoing directories.
Fixed several potential HTML syntax errors.
Added several new HTML syntax errors.
Made extensive use of tables to give more of a formatted look. (browsers
that don't support graphics or tables should still be ok)

Here is what I still need to do:

Create 00_INDEX files for each of the FTP directories... the file names
themselves give a pretty good clues as to what the files are, but I would
like to make it a little better, and this would help with "version control"
also.
Give the generated archive search result pages the same new look as the
rest of the pages now have (relax John, you'll get used to it).
And above all, fix everything you guys tell me to when you go check it out
and find broken stuff.

I am not able to test with every browser. I use IE the most cause it is
picky and interprets most of the specs very literally... it don't cut you
near as much slack as Netscape. I also use an old crusty "doesn't support
boo" no-name browser so see what the "Unix World" sees.  ;-)

Now just a quick reminder then I'm outta your faces;
Neither of the mailing lists will support file attachments over 40k in
size. To submit files to the FTP site, please put them in the
efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/incoming directory. I haven't looked at the FTP
config for permissions there yet, but that directory should accept
anonymous uploads... if it doesn't I will fix it. If you would, please .zip
or .tar.gz the files first. If you really want to be nice to me, you can
include a brief description in a file that is named the same as your
uploaded file but with a different extension. That way I can quickly and
easily place the file, with description, into the appropriate outgoing
directory. Otherwise I have to tear it apart and try and figure out what it
is and where it needs to go.

One last thing;
I would like to extend an open invitation to everyone to feel free to
contribute to the site. The content has to remain focused on the efi332 and
diy_efi mailing lists. IOW, I am not going to add a bunch of outside links
to it, but there is still more that can be done to extend the service these
lists provide. If you have an idea, or some HTML you want to add, just mail
it to me:

allnight at everett.net

I can tell you that sometime in the future, our friend and kind sir, Mr.
Bruce Bowling will be adding some useful Java to it (now you have to do it
Bruce) and any ideas are welcome.

Since some of the navigation has changed, you might want to start at the
beginning and update your bookmarks to where ever you used to hangout.

http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/

enjoy!

-j-