Fuel pump questions

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Mon Dec 16 03:40:20 GMT 1996

Lets talk about fuel pumps. In specifc, the early model Datsun 280Z pump.
This is a Bosch unit used on the L-Jetronic (and other) EFI systems. The
standard DC motor with a roller vane pump type, mounted outside of tank. I
had a leaking O-ring on the pump, so I took the four screws out and replaced
the ring. Now the pump will run, but it will not develop any pressure (not
enough to open the pressure regulator on the FI system). It's also a monster
to prime now.

Yes, I did mark the pump housing and assembled it back as original.
Yes, I did reinstall the roller vanes. None of the check valves were stuck.

I would just say that the pump is bad But, in the past, when ever I opened
one of these pumps and reassembled it, it never worked properly again.

What's the trick to servicing these pumps??  Last price check was ~$200.00 each.

What other popular cars (American sold) used this external fuel pump?

GMD