ENGINE TIMING

Tuck sldbrass at infi.net
Mon Dec 16 06:39:26 GMT 1996

At 22:18 12/15/96 +0000, you wrote:
>HI there
>
>Having read the articles I can tell you that the most common method used
>now in europe for engine timing is the flywheel sensor with a missing
>tooth in conjunction with a cam sensor.  The flywheel sensor has in the
>case of Fords 36 teeth with one missing.  The sensor is in line with

FWIW, the Mazda rotaries use a gear driven crank angle sensor that inserts
in the same place as the dsitributor did on the older rotary cars (in the
front housing on the endinge that also contains the gear/chain-driven oil
pump).  I'll bet that it wouldn't be too hard to adaptthe Mazda crank angle
sensor to the distributor mounting on another car with some careful
fabvrication.  I think the output signl is pretty straightforward from the
unit.  They are also readily available from any 84+ fuel injected rotary car
and practically bulletproff in terms of reliability.

Justin "Tuck" Cordesman
SOLID BRASS-> She was getting robbed and I was getting blown away...

It's funny... these days the only sympathy I get is from a woman I tend to
annoy and a would-be assassin.